Misunderstanding and Guidance of Fitting Hearing Aid for the ElderlyCindy
Hearing properly states that many older people have misunderstandings about fitting hearing aids:
1. Hearing aids ca n’t be removed like glasses, and hearing will drop faster and faster;
2. For those with severe hearing loss, it does n’t matter if they wear hearing aids or they ca n’t hear anyway;
3. My hearing is okay. I don’t need to match it now.
4. Hearing aids are sold all over the street, and they are the same everywhere you buy them;
5. As long as you wear a hearing aid, you can hear it, no matter if he has one or both ears, he has hearing loss in both ears and only wears a hearing aid;
6. I don’t need to have a digital hearing aid, just buy a cassette or analog one;
7. Choosing a big brand multi-channel high-price hearing aid can be as good as normal people’s hearing;
8. When I first put on a hearing aid, I often feel uncomfortable. Isn’t it suitable for wearing a hearing aid?
The role of hearing aids is to maximize the residual hearing of older people to help them return to the world of sound. Wearing hearing aids is beneficial to improving the quality of life of elderly patients with ear damage.
As an audiology worker, hearing has the obligation to help the elderly correctly understand the fitting of hearing aids, and get out of the misunderstanding:
1. Wearing hearing aids is an important means to improve the hearing of the elderly with ear damage. Hearing aids are like people wearing glasses. Only hearing aids suitable for their hearing can help to hear. Improper wearing can only be harmful. Hearing aids that are too loud are not only unintelligible, they can also damage residual hearing and make hearing loss worse. As long as hearing aids are properly fitted, hearing will not continue to decline. Except for degenerative changes due to natural aging and hearing loss due to disease.
2. Many people think that their hearing is okay, and they are unwilling to accept the help of hearing aids. In fact, this is wrong. Hearing loss is generally required for hearing loss below 40dB. Hearing aids can help delay the phenomenon of hearing loss and maintain the original speech recognition ability.
3. Hearing aids are not a simple commodity. They cannot be purchased and used at will. They must undergo strict fitting before they can be worn. Before fitting hearing aids, a comprehensive examination must be carried out by a professional doctor.
4. 70% of patients with hearing aids in one ear are dissatisfied in the later stage, especially in environments with high ambient noise or noisy people. Many experts and experiments have proven that the use of hearing aids with binaural ears has many benefits, including enhanced hearing balance and positioning, increased gain and signal-to-noise ratio, improved speech recognition rates, and more. Hearing aids worn in both ears are more directional than single ears, which can increase the three-dimensional feel of the sound and make the sound clear and full.
5. The sound of digital hearing aids is not only clear, but also can protect the residual hearing of patients. Digital hearing aids basically use wide dynamic compression and amplification circuits, which can improve the dynamic range of patients with sensorineural hearing loss. Hearing aids can be adapted to a variety of acoustic environments.
6. Hearing aid is a hearing aid. It is a machine. No matter how good the function is, it cannot replace a pair of good ears. Therefore, have a reasonable expectation for hearing aids. When you first put on hearing aids, especially those you have never worn before, there is an adaptation period. After the adaptation period with a normal attitude, the benefits of hearing aids become more and more obvious.